Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One Month Off

It's time to get back on the horse. After a 30 day leave of absence, I'm back in the blogosphere.

Here's a nugget of truth that could change your life:
Sylvester Stallone is in the boxing hall of fame, as of today. The world is a wonderful place.

I've had a weird month the last 30 days, and I can't really put my finger on it. It's been full of ups and downs; a lot of perspective shifts. I've felt a lot of clarity, and I've felt lost. I've been chasing some focus, but stagnating.

I may be spreading myself too thin; I may be ambivalent about what really drives me at this point in my life. I can't help but notice the stark contrast between my ambitions and my contentedness with the little pleasures of each and every day. I feel like this has been a recurring theme in my life over the last year or so, and I struggle with balancing these sentiments. I want to channel some of my ambitions and do something great, yet I relish the ability to enjoy the simple things in life with the people that matter most to me on a daily basis. I need to practice some discipline, and I need to determine where to place that discipline.

I've made a lot of decisions in my life, and I stand by the vast majority of them. Some of them were good, and some of them were bad. That being said, I'm confident that I've been able to learn from almost all of them, and I'm a better person for it. An old friend of mine passed away recently, and I can't help but contrast our lives since we last spoke. At one point we were in a very similar place, and I feel that the disparities in some of the key decisions we were making at that point in our lives has led us to the situation today. It's humbling to think that we could've just easily made different decisions at a few key points in our lives and ended up in drastically different places. My thoughts rest with his family.

***

The snow season is here, and I'm thrilled about it. I've committed to Squaw Valley USA as my home mountain for the season, and I'm excited to explore it this winter. It's a real mammoth of a mountain, and I can't wait to immerse myself in the famous lines that are all over the resort. I'm already feeling as strong as I was at the end of last season, and I'm thrilled to progress a whole lot more this season. The forecast for a deep winter (coupled with the unbelievable company of some of my closest friends) is exciting - it's going to be a great season.

Of the many famous local skiers and riders here, no one carries as much weight with me as Jeremy Jones. Big mountain Jeremy Jones. He's a living legend. And on my birthday, I got to follow him. On a snowboard. In person. Seriously - that was the coolest thing I've ever done. I tried to follow him, but I didn't get very far. On a high note, I've got a hero line for my season - if I can successfully ride just that one line this year, the year is a success.

I'm off to do some Ironman training.... what did I get myself into? Eric - it's on.



No comments:

Post a Comment