Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Too Much To Blog About...

But I'll try... today marks my last day in Crested Butte for the foreseeable future, and it couldn't be more fitting. Mother Nature was kind enough to grace us with a foot or so of fresh snow (not when the resort was open all season, not when I'm not making trip after trip out to my car while packing, not when I have a free day to go ride backcountry) as if to say "It's epic here - you'll be back.". Mother Nature - you're right. I've had an unbelievably fun season here, and the last few days were some of the best. This spot on the planet is etched in my brain, and I will indeed be coming back. For the foreseeable future, however, I have some new places to see and new people to meet. This is the best part of the vagabonding adventure. I have no idea what tomorrow holds. With the snowstorm in full force, my travel over Monarch Pass may be postponed. Although my heart has been set on riding my bike in the Garden Of The Gods in Colorado Springs tomorrow (go.) for some time, I know that flexibility is a traveler's best virtue. After all, if I can't make it over the pass, my day will be comprised of parking at the bottom of the climb, grabbing my board, hitch-hiking to the resort, riding all day on a new mountain (with a veritable cornucopia of powder stashes), then strapping in and making turns on the shoulder of the highway all the way down to my parked car (if I do this I'll be sure to get video - it's not every day that you get to ride with semi-truck traffic within spraying distance). So it's not so bad, I think. I may do that, find that conditions on the roads have improved, and still get to ride my bike in CO Springs! Rest assured that whatever happens, it will be well documented here. From tomorrow the options increase as I make my way to Denver and ultimately Dillon. I'll hopefully be doing a lot of cycling and meeting a lot of new people, all the while breathing in the wonderful culture and scenery that Colorado has to offer. I may be sleeping in my car, I may sleep outside, I may sleep in the home of some new friends - friends I haven't even met yet. Therein lies the thrill of the adventure: I might find my new friends out riding bikes, on a lift ride at Monarch, hitching a ride up the Pass, at a tavern in Colorado Springs, or in a coffeehouse while I write my next blog entry. The possibilities more numerous than the certainties, and that's the beauty of this whole thing.


TakeYourBike.org is now less than 10 days away from going live, so keep posted and get excited! In the meantime, you should track us down at www.officialtakeyourbike.blogspot.com, www.twitter.com/takeyourbike (I know, I know. I can't believe I'm on Twitter, either.), and on Facebook (just search for the group TakeYourBike.org or find the link on my personal page). Once you've made absolutely certain that you won't miss any detail of what we're doing (I think subscribing to all of those sites should do the trick), grab your bike and go out for a ride!


Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment of excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort. - Paul Meyer (thanks Eric)

No comments:

Post a Comment