Sunday, January 10, 2010

3 Week Update




Yes, I know it's been a minute. You can feel free to let me know how you feel about that, but it's going to fall on deaf ears. You could be about as offended as you could possibly be that I haven't been blogging lately, and I will continue to just smile and nod. I've spent the last 3 weeks enjoying friends, family, holidays, riding, mayhem, wholesomeness, and just about everything in between; and taking a few minutes away from the people who deemed it important enough to come see me to spend savings and take time out of their busy lives just wasn't in the cards. It means the world that everyone who came out to visit did so, and I couldn't have possibly enjoyed the last few weeks of my life any more thoroughly. I got to enjoy a meal with my family, work out with my brother, ride with friends and family alike, snowboard in the dark holding lit flares, hike the jib park by moonlight, party like it was 1999, lose pretty much every match of Bear-Ninja-Cowboy I played, learn some new tricks, and generally enjoy living in the present for a while. My landlord may not appreciate that (where do you buy a new towel rod?), and my liver definitely doesn't appreciate that, but for better or worse I enjoyed every second. If you haven't opened your home to a throng of your closest friends lately, I suggest you make some phone calls. Just cover your furniture in plastic and consider buying renter's insurance. If I could do it all over again, I would. Twice. I'm 9 bag explosions short of a up-to-par snow bum living room. Want to save on heat? Get a half dozen or so people to live in your living room and continuously have a fire going. If you don't have a fireplace, you should consider moving to Colorado. Things I've learned in the last 3 weeks:
- my family is the best, and my friends are too.
- bonus Jaime is even better than regular Jaime
- you can make pancakes without eggs as long as you use a LOT of milk
- Kelley Ritchie has ruined meals for me forever - no longer does a Clif Bar suffice as a quality dinner. Neither does queso and chip crumbs via spoon. Send recipes, Kelley. And cooking abilities.
- celebrating New Year's Eve is better in a non-East Coast Time Zone; you get to do it twice. Three times if you Youtube the ball drop the next night.
- snowboarding is easy. Snowboarding in the dark barkwards while carrying lit torches is a little tricky.
- friends who trick together stick together.
- I have met at least one girl skier who can own me on a snowboard anytime, anywhere- thanks for humbling me, Susan Mol.
- my brother is brutally huge.
- Colorado is God's country. And all dogs should be raised here.
- backcountry booters are a blast.
- Eric's ankle disagrees with the Wu Tang.
- Sunny B. takes great photos.
- I have some seriously rad chicks for roommates.
- 9 people run through toilet paper at a pace normally reserved for Usain Bolt.
- engineers can lose a camera in their pants.
- Sass is still the man. All Hail Sass.
- Next winter is going to be gnarly.

If you can't get as excited as I am over your last 3 weeks, you should consider altering your lifestyle. It's just not worth it to deny yourself the pleasures of good company and great memories for the sake of someone else's expectations, your own fears, or because "there just isn't enough time". You're right, there isn't enough time. So call in sick tomorrow and go spend some time with your friends and family. You won't regret it - I know I didn't.

To good friends and better trips.






No comments:

Post a Comment