Saturday, October 10, 2009

2 Doors

I have to fit everything I'm taking with me into a 2 door Ford Thunerbird. Of course, I could have my dearest mother mail out a box when I arrive in Colorado, but that's a copout. I have started the process of slimming down my tangible possessions. In the last week, I have given away personal items (CHKD is great cause - you should look into it), returned things that were lent to me, sold things, and throw some things away (please know that the latter was a last resort taken only with the most trivial/useless of possessions). Most of my furniture is listed on craigslist.com. It's very humbling - to realize how much material possessions you own. Stifling, really. Some of the things I have happened across in the early stages of this process I have not thought about or put to use in years. YEARS. The thought alone is disconcerting. How did it come to this? At what point did circumstantial memories become so intrinsically intwined with these material things that they were deemed indispensable? Some of those memories aren't even good.... the thought revolts me. Do yourself a favor and clean house once and a while. You'll be amazed at what you've found excuses to keep over those years. I think it's exciting - to jettison so much of what I've attached to myself over the years. I'm slimming down. Cutting fat. It's cathartic. Butterfly-after-the-caterpillar type shit. I'm not there yet, but I'm working toward it.

I hope Karly enjoys my wine rack.

Currently listening to: Green Day - Burnout
Currently reading: Stuff White People Like, A Definitive Guide to the Unique Taste of Millions - Christian Lander

No comments:

Post a Comment